As a big foodie and someone who loves watching her mom be innovative with recipes, I decided to mimic the delicious arugula beet salad I had at Union Pizzeria for a reunion. The vinaigrette that I made is something I learned from my mom actually, so it’s a bit different from what the restaurant uses. Regardless, I highly recommend that you try making this salad at home. The spring and summer flavors come to life with the sweet, tangy, crunchy, and soft.
1 bag of arugula mix
1 container of goat cheese
1 small lemon
peanut butter or almond butter (I personally prefer almond butter)
walnuts, pine nuts, sliced almonds (if you have them)
packaged peeled baby beets
quinoa or toasted multigrain crackers
1. Wash the arugula mix. After washing the pre-washed bag of arugula, add half the container of goat cheese.
2. Toast walnuts, pine nuts, and sliced almonds on a pan.
3. In a small bowl, mix 1/3 cup of olive oil with a little less than 1/4 cup of honey and 2 tbsp. of almond butter or peanut butter.
4. Pour some balsamic vinegar into the mixture but the ratio must still be so that there’s more olive oil than balsamic vinegar. Taste the dressing.
5. Squeeze half the small lemon into the bowl.
6. Stir, stir, sir.
7. Heat the packaged beets in hot water in a pan for 3-5 minutes (in its packaged form!)
8. Cut the beets into smaller chunks and add them to the arugula and goat cheese.
9. Add the toasted nuts to the salad.
10. Now, add crushed multigrain crackers.
11. Pour the dressing on top and mix the salad thoroughly and well!
And there you have it, folks. 🙂 Enjoy! Bon apetit!